Aussie Fence Doctor
Providing you with practical fencing tips and strategies
Stop Winter Escape Artists
Now that the cooler months are upon us and your ponies and horses are rugged up, do you have problems with escapees?
The Fence Doctor has a couple of tricks to help with their safe containment:
1) Make sure you have the correct spacings for your tape runs - most horses respect two runs of tape. Mares and foals (and your miniatures) will require three tape runs - click here for advice on tape spacings.
2) A simple but effective way to discourage escaping through the fence when wearing a rug is to sew a piece of StockGuard electric fence tape to the inside of their rug. Make sure you tuck the ends under so that the electric wires are not able to scratch, annoy or hurt them. You can also fix a piece around their hood and if necessary, for super Houdini's, let a piece of fence tape hang just under their throat so everytime they look for that chance to escape through the fence it serves as a reminder that it has become a no-go zone.
This can be done as a temporary deterrent, once they've realised that even with a rug on the fence is a permanent fixture to be respected you can remove the tape from their rugs (just remember not to do it right in front of them).
With thanks to Funny Horse Cartoons for the image.
Check out www.funnyhorsecartoons.com for more horse antics
- We offer you a free personalised quote.
- A design service backed by 50 years practical experience.
- 40mm electric horse fencing tape and fittings from approximately $1.78 per metre (this is based on wooden posts at 5m spacing with a basic paddock plan of at least 1500m of tape. This is just a ballpark figure.)
- Backed by 25 year guarantee* on horse fence tape
With over 50 years of practical experience in the horse industry in Australia and overseas we aim to deep dive on the topics you want to know about when you're planning your property's fencing.